This satisfying, earthy soup is warm and comforting. Combining mushrooms, spinach and potatoes lends perfect flavor and the crunchy chickpeas on top in place of croutons make it a standout dish!
3 T. olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. vegetable stock
2 c. warm water
7 oz. Portobello mushrooms, chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
7 oz. heavy cream
2 c. baby spinach, rough chopped
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 c. canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and lightly patted dry
2 T. olive oil
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until onion becomes soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
2. Add vegetable stock, water, mushrooms, and potatoes.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil until potatoes are soft, approximately 10 minutes. Time to cook will vary based on size of potato cubes.
4. Add a spoonful of the hot liquid to the heavy cream to temper it before adding it to the pot. Stir to combine and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
5. Add spinach. Simmer 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Remove from heat and set aside, covered to retain heat.
6. In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
7. Add chickpeas and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally.
8. To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with crispy chickpeas. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30